Jackson Pollock of Chocolate Peppermint Slice
Last weekend I went on a bit of a baking spree. I was craving some of my mother’s lasagne and I had to bake something to take to work for the morning tea on Monday. Being the kind and considerate wife that I am I asked HUBBY if there was anything in particular that he would like me to bake. He responded with “Chocolate Mint Slice!”.
I’d never made the slice before so I hit the net for a recipe to use and came across Chocolate Peppermint Slice on Taste. Recipe looked good so I thought I’d give it a go.
It’s quite simple to make, the only downside is the waiting in between layers. I managed to knock it over in between making lasagne.
It ended up tasting quite good, but it didn’t cut so well. Every time I ran a knife through it to cut it up the chocolate layer would crack off the top. But everyone loves some good crumbs so it didn’t go to waste.
I’m definitely going to try making this one again. Probably not for awhile as I think I’ve reached my mint limit for now.
Chocolate Peppermint Slice
2 x 200g packets Mint Slice biscuits
75g butter, melted
2 cups icing sugar mixture
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon peppermint essence
180g dark chocolate, chopped
180g white chocolate, chopped
Green food colouring
1. Grease an 18cm x 28cm (base) slice pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, allowing 3cm overhang on all sides.
2. Process biscuits until finely chopped. Add butter. Process until just combined. Spread over base of prepared pan. Cover. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Make filling: Place icing sugar, copha and milk in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium (50%) for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring every minute with a metal spoon, or until mixture is smooth and sugar has dissolved. Stir in essence. Using a spatula, spread mixture over prepared base. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
4. Make topping: Place dark chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium (50%) for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds with a metal spoon, or until smooth. Set aside for 5 minutes to thicken. Place white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium (50%) for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds with a metal spoon, or until smooth. Transfer half the white chocolate to a bowl. Tint 1 portion white chocolate green with food colouring. Spread dark chocolate mixture over filling. Spoon remaining white chocolate into a snap-lock bag. Snip off 1 corner. Pipe lines of chocolate, in a criss-cross pattern, over dark chocolate mixture. Repeat with green chocolate. Run a skewer through topping to create marbled effect.
5. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until set. Cut into squares. Serve.