It’s a public holiday here in Canberra and I have no idea what it’s for but I’m ever so grateful for the day at home with the boys. It’s amazing how one extra day of togetherness can recharge you and make you feel on top of the world. I never want to get to a point where I take having these two amazing lads in my life. They make me so happy and I find myself missing them when I’m sewing. Which has been a lot lately. But there’s worse problems to have in the world.
Can you believe it’s October? I flipped the calendar last week and my breath caught. It’s nearly Christmas and that means it’s almost 2016! Where is the time going? Part of my brain is still in June I think. I was planning on finishing out 2015 quietly. Ease off on the project, spend more time just enjoying being where I am and get my head ready for a big 2016. Seems life has other plans, and I’m learning to be ok with that. Moving the clocks forward an hour yesterday has done nothing to help me get my head around how fast the year is going. I adore daylight savings because it’s lighter for longer, but I always find the first couple of days a little off putting. Although I do take a secret thrill from getting all the way to 3pm before wanting lunch.
Last weekend we were in Sydney and I got the awesome pleasure of taking the Meadow Quilt Class with Lizzy House. It was so much fun and I’m so thankful for the experience. It was great to hang out and share some laughs with friends while learning from someone who I really admire. Lizzy was so abundantly giving with her knowledge and experience. I managed to make one block while I was in class and I’d like to make some time before the end of the year to whip some more blocks together. (And I’m not going to lie, I came straight home and bought a whole heap more Lizzy House fabric to add to my stash!)
I start teaching my classes at Hobbysew this month and I’m nervously excited about them. I’ve taught before, but not when it comes to quilting – although I’m sure teaching IT systems is a lot more stressful then teaching quilting techniques. I’m really excited about meeting new people and sharing what I’ve learned so far and learning from those that take the classes. All in all it’s going to be an amazing month chock full of creative goodness.
I hope you have a fabulous day today!
FUN THINGS TO CLICK ON
- I love October because it means that Halloween is just around the corner. Looking for a great Halloween quilt project, then click here for some ghoulish fun.
- Looking for an addictive new way to procrastinate? Then check out Wordbrain. It’s a word based game available on iTunes and Android. Click here to learn more.
- If you’re not into Halloween, now might be just the time to start on those festive projects. Click here for a great advent quilt project.
- How about flexing those improvastional skills with a fun herringbone block. Click here for tutorial.
- For those of you looking for some Fall inspired sewing room decor, why not click here for this pumpkin pincushion tutorial.
- I’m loving this raindrop cushion as a great way to add some interest to our couch. Click here for the tutorial.
COMMUNITY CORK BOARD
- Jackie Gillies (@jackiegillies) is asking those who can (and want to) to make and donate Tic Tac Toe blocks to help make quilts for women’s refuges in Australia. You can find out more by clicking here.
Want something included on the Community Cork Board, then why not drop me an email and if it’s applicable to the GnomeAngel community I’ll share it. It can be anything from a local fate, a charity raffle, a class you’re teaching, a pattern you’ve released, a sew-a-long you’re involved in to a community event that’s happening. Be sure to send me as much detail as you can and links to any applicable websites. Click here to email me.
- If you’d like to take a class with me, then why not check out my class list by clicking here or maybe you’d like to work with me to help promote your brand/business/store/product, click here to find out more about partnering with me.
- Entries are open in the 15th Annual Brother International Quilt Contest. You could win $2,400 worth of Brother quilting products and have your quilt displayed at the Tokyo International Quilt Festival in 2016. To find out more click here.
Get Your Free Pattern Now!
Sign up to the GnomeAngel Newsletter and you can access your very own free pattern. Get the latest news, stay up-to-date with sew-alongs + events and receive the occasional free offer! Simply add your details below!