These lemon and lime vegan cupcakes are a fabulous go-to if you’re looking for a sweet treat that works for anyone that’s allergic to egg, dairy or nuts.
These are a really simple recipe and make such a lovely and light cupcake. I am such a fan of the lemon and lime combination.
These come together really quickly and would work great for bake sales or picnics. I’m drooling now just thinking about them…
Lemon Lime Cupcakes
2 cups (250g) plain flour
2 tablespoons (16g) cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup (235ml) soy milk (use soy here, or your milk might not curdle)
3 tablespoons (45ml) lemon juice
3 tablespoons (45ml) lime juice
1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
1 tablespoon (15ml) pure lemon extract
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1½ (180g) icing sugar
2 tablespoons (30ml) lemon juice
2 tablespoons (30ml) lime juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners.
2. In a large-size mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In a medium-size bowl, combine the milk, lemon juice, and lime juice; it will curdle and become like buttermilk.
4. Add the sugar, lemon extract, and vanilla and stir to combine.
5. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry, being careful not to over mix.
6. Divide the batter equally among the prepared cupcake liners.
7. Bake for 20 to 23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. Icing: sift the sugar into a medium-size bowl. Add the juice, a little at a time, and stir until extremely well blended to remove lumps. The icing needs to be think enough to stick to the back of a spoon, but still be easily spread.
9. Let cupcakes cool. Once cool use a spatula to spread icing on top of cupcakes. Decorate if desired.