I’m so excited to introduce you to the first of the International hoppers that are participating in the Sea Breeze Mini Quilt-a-Long, Amanda from Mucho xoxo. I’m not really sure how I found Amanda’s blog – a happy accident – but I spent a good hour or so on that first day just loosing myself in it.
Amanda’s blog is such a delight to read – it’s clean, clear and full of fabulous images. It also doesn’t hurt that I’m really drawn to her use of colour and pattern.
Amanda lives in Los Angeles (how exciting!) and I can’t help imagining her life a little like an American television show…. (which I’m sure it’s nothing like, but being obsessed with American suburban architecture as I am it brings me joy so I will continue to do so!)
Want to learn a little more about Amanda, then read on…
Amanda is Mucho xoxo
1. How did you come to be a quilter?
I’ve been sewing for as long as I can remember. It wasn’t until the birth of my nephew two years ago that I really got back into it. I would consider myself relatively new to quilting, but I’m totally hooked!
2. What is it that you love about being a quilter?
I absolutely love making things for people. There’s just something so special about handmade gifts. (And the beauty of a quilt is that it will always fit!). I also find it incredibly therapeutic. I’m a bit of a control freak, so it’s been a lesson in letting go. Things will rarely be perfect, so instead of dwelling on little mistakes, I embrace them!
3. What’s your 3 favourite quilts that you’ve made that reflect who you are as a quilter?
#1: The first quilt I ever made for my nephew. It was a simple quilt (based on this tutorial from The Purl Bee) but it reignited my love of sewing. And I love that two years later, he still sleeps with it.
#2: My radiant orchid quilt. I challenged myself to try something new and I’m so happy with the result!
#3: My radiant gem improv quilt. I absolutely love this quilt! It was 100% improvised, all with scraps from my radiant orchid quilt. I found the whole process surprisingly meditative. I’ve already started my second improv quilt, and I predict there will be many more 🙂
A Bit of Fun:
If you could only have one or the other for the rest of eternity what would you choose?
1. Fabric: Solid or Pattern? Solid, all the way!
2. Quilt Styles: Pattern or Improv? Improv. There’s something so fun about starting a quilt and not completely knowing where it could end up.
3. Seams: Open or to the Side? To the side.
4. Stitching: Hand or Machine? Machine. (My hand stitching is rubbish).
5. Binding: Hand or Machine? Machine.
6. Food: Sweet or Savoury? Savoury. And the spicier the better!
7. Entertainment: Books or Music? Music. Preferably live, and loud 😉
8. Entertainment: Television or Movies? Movies.
9. Computer: Mac or Windows? I’m a Mac girl.
10. Drink: Coke or Pepsi? Coffee!
Get Your Free Pattern Now!
Sign up to the GnomeAngel Newsletter and you can access your very own free pattern. Get the latest news, stay up-to-date with sew-alongs + events and receive the occasional free offer! Simply add your details below!