For the past 2 years I’ve started the year by mapping out my must make list. It’s been a great way to stay motivated and on track, but last year I found I diverged from the plan really early on and I’m a little worried that I’m going to do the same this year (and it’s only January!).
I’ve been thinking about how to overcome this and whether I really want, or need, to and I’ve decided that it’s better to list everything out and not follow it then try to hold on to it all in my head. So, here’s my must make list (so far) for 2015.
This is going to be a busy month. I have 2 quilts and 2 cushions to make for a couple of magazines so they’re going to be my number one priority. I’m really excited about them as they’re going to be the realisation of the first ever quilt design I dreamed up.
I also have my Schnitzel & Boo Mini quilt to finish and have in the post by the 16th January. I haven’t started this quilt yet (lucky it’s a mini!) and I’m not really sure what I’m going to make. I’m hoping inspiration will strike soon.
This month I’m going to be running the Hazel Hedgehog Quilt-a-Long (QAL). It’s going to be a quick and easy QAL for those that want to make either a mini or a full sized quilt. Be sure to sign up to my newsletter to find out more.
My #rainbowminiswap quilt needs to be done and in the post by the 30th March. I have no idea what I’ll be making, but I’m sure I’m going to have fun with it.
I have a quilt to make for an upcoming block of the month (BOM) feature on one of my favourite blogs and so I’d like to have that done before the pattern goes live. I probably should do it before April, but history has shown I’m a last minute kind of girl.
This is the month I’m due to return to my day job (sob!) and so I’m thinking this will be the month that I finish my X Plus quilt. I want to have something to work on that makes me happy while I try to come to terms with being back at the daily grind.
This is Canberra Quilters Exhibition quilt making (panic) month. I have no idea what I’ll be doing this year but I can almost guarantee that come June I’ll be scrambling to get something done and finished.
July – November
I have a number of projects I’d like to make this year and so instead of allocating them a month I’m going to group them together for this 5 month period and see how I go. Here they are, in no particular order:
- Single Girl Quilt – I’d planned to run a quilt-a-long for this quilt last year and it just didn’t happen. Figured that this year I’d just aim to make the quilt and see what else happens along the way.
- Hawaiian Quilt – this is the year, no more talking about it, I’m going to do it and do it my way (just like Frankie, baby!).
- 2 Colour Quilt – I want to make a quilt in only 2 solid colours. I’m not sure which 2, but it’s on the list and it’s going to happen.
- Modern Handcraft Hexies – I have spent the last few months in 2014 lusting after Nicole’s work and this year I’m determined to make one of my very own.
- Dresden Plate – I’ve been toying with an idea for a dresden plate quilt and I’m thinking this might be the year to see if I can make it happen.
- New Quilt Blocks – I’ve been collecting quilt blocks and patterns that I love over there (on the time suck that is) Pinterest and this year I’m going to have fun just making random blocks as the mood strikes me. Who knows, I might just invent my own version of a sampler quilt.
This is the month that I’m leaving free for present sewing, end-of-year finishes and last minute holiday sewing. I had a massive amount of last minute sewing to do before I went on holidays in 2014 and I’m determined not to have that happen again.
All Year Long
As well as having projects that will be time specific this year I’ve decided to give a couple of year long projects a try as well, in no particular order:
- Pile O’Fabric Skill Builder BOM – I really loved having a cross stitch BOM to work on the last couple of years (let’s just not mention where my 2014 one is at) and so I thought that this year I might like to have a go at making a BOM quilt. This quilt pattern really excites me and scares me at the same time, but it’s covering a few of the techniques that I’d really like to master so I’m going to suck it up and give it a crack.
- A Lovely Year of Finishes – This is all about staying motivated and accountable. I’m going to be pushing myself to do a year of finishes and I figure this will be a great way to make some new friends that are doing the same thing. I’m also hoping that this will help me keep on track for finishing some of the projects that are currently UFO’s in my sewing room (like my Midnight at the Oasis, Zombie Bear Paw and a few other little projects).
So, that’s my Must Make List for 2015, what’s yours? I’d love to see what you’re working on this year, so leave a comment (with a link to your blog if you have one) and I’ll check it out – maybe we could act as motivational support team?
Psst... Would you like a FREE pattern?
Sign up to the GnomeAngel Newsletter and you can access your very own free pattern. Get the latest news, stay up-to-date with sew-alongs + events and receive the occasional free offer! Simply add your details below!