In May 2104 I wrote about starting my version of Camille Roskelley’s Vintage quilt from her book Simply Retro. I was supposed to finish the quilt in that month, but I’m ashamed to say it took me 12 months to finish. I hand stitched the binding down in May 2015 and it’s taken me this long to get photos and share it. (Winter has not been kind in the quilt photo department!) I gave up on getting amazing photos and settled for just getting photos otherwise it might be another 12 months before it’s on the blog! I called this quilt “Vintage Daydreams” as a nod to the two ladies who designed the two key elements.
I absolutely adore Kate Spain’s Daydreams range of fabrics and I was so excited to use them in this project, but I feel like this quilt is a good example of how sometimes as much as you love something it just doesn’t work. I decided to use this range for this project because the blocks are so large and I thought it would give me a really good amount of the fabrics in each block so I could just soak in their beauty while snuggling under my quilt. And the blocks do give you a big punch of the fabrics, but my choice of background fabric and quilting really do nothing to make the most of these amazing fabrics.
The other thing not working in my favour is that I managed to screw up cutting a couple of the fat quarters (which were some of my favourites in the range) I’d planned to use and so I had to use more of the blender fabrics in the range then I would have liked. Blenders are great when you’re trying to find a way to use multiple prints, but I don’t think in this instance they work that great on their own.
I let HUBBY pick from a couple of different background options for this quilt because I wanted to make a quilt for our bed and thought this would be a good way to include him in the process. He chose Kona Cotton Sky and at the time I wanted to go a different direction and I went with his choice. Lesson learned – trust your gut! Technically the colour goes with the fabrics, but it’s just made this quilt feel washed out. For my liking, this quilt is lacking some punch. It just doesn’t “feel right”.
Gemma (of Pretty Bobbins) quilted this for me and I chose to do something a little out of my comfort zone and went with a pattern I probably wouldn’t have normally picked. It doesn’t work with this patchwork pattern. This isn’t a reflection on the pattern, the quilter or the quilt – it just doesn’t work and sometimes there’s more value in things not working right then when they do.
I bound the quilt in a mix of two fabrics from the range and I really like how it came out – it’s the same print, just two colour ways. I backed it in a print that I picked up on clearance and thought went lovely with the colours on the front.
The quilts not horrible, it’s just not rocketing to the top of my favourites list. Since finishing it I’ve seen a really amazing scrappy version of this quilt pattern on Instagram and it makes me wish I’d thought of it. It works so well in scraps.
We’re currently sleeping under this quilt and it’s giving such a lovely hit of summer to our dark winter days. I still really love the big prints in this range and I know that I’ll be tracking some more down to add it back into my stash. For what this quilt lacks in the punch department it’s taught me some valuable lessons in what I love in quilts and what I need to avoid in future.
Get Your Free Pattern Now!
Sign up to the GnomeAngel Newsletter and you can access your very own free pattern. Get the latest news, stay up-to-date with sew-alongs + events and receive the occasional free offer! Simply add your details below!