In Grade 12 I had an English teacher… let’s call him Mr Lemon. Mr Lemon and I had a rocky relationship. I thought I was the next Harper Lee and he thought… well let’s not get in to that, let’s just acknowledge that he thought I was never going to be a published author and didn’t mind telling me so. Now if he was a betting man it was looking pretty good there for awhile that he would have won some cold hard cash, but then a little thing called quilting entered my life and now it looks like ole Mr Lemon is going to have to eat his words.
You see, I’ve just become one of C&T Publishing‘s authors. Yep, you read that right, I’m going to have a book published.
Life is a many splendid thing and while I always thought I’d have a work of fiction or (don’t laugh) poetry published (and who says I won’t!) it turns out my first work is going to be all about quilting. I’m so thrilled and excited to be joining the amazing team at C&T Publishing. It’s amazing how many of the quilt books that I love and adore have been published by C&T Publishing and I’m honoured and a little awe-inspired that they’ve let me into those hallowed ranks.
The book is still a way off and I’ve got a lot of work to do in the next 6 months, but I’m so excited about it. Things are happening and changing and growing and it’s great to see all the hard work I’ve been doing starting to yield results. I want my son to grow up, like I did, knowing that hard work will help you realise your dreams – whatever they may be.
I’m not going to lie, we’re making a lot of sacrifices to get to this point and to pursue our family’s dreams. It’s been really hard work so far and as I sit here thinking about what’s coming up I feel overwhelmed, anxious, scared and a little crazy. I’m not completely sure how we’re going to get it all done and that’s a little scary. My family is my number one priority and so I’m conscious of not putting our relationships and quality time together in jeopardy just to achieve a goal. It’s no use getting where you want to go if you can’t enjoy the journey with those you love and you find yourself alone at the end of it all.
You only get one go at life and I plan on making sure that come what may our family lived it the best way we knew how and we chased down our dreams. So with that in mind, I’d better get my butt off the computer and do some work. Fabric waits for no woman (or man)!
Have a fabulous day!
FUN THINGS TO CLICK ON
- I love foundation paper piecing and these blocks from Two Little Banshees have me tempted to pick up another project. Click here to find out more.
- If you’d like to give foundation paper piecing a go, then why not check out this two part tutorial on how to. Click here for part 1 and click here for part 2.
- I haven’t even finished this year’s Fundraising BOM with Fat Quarter Shop, but I’m so signing up for the next one. Click here to find out more.
- If you’re looking for a project to help you use all of your precious scraps, then click here to see a great scrappy cushion tutorial.
- I love these 5 Lessons on Letting Go that Emily Katz learned from her first business going bankrupt. Click here to read more.
- Looking for some cute felt projects for Halloween, click here for 3 fun tutorials. (I think the Candy Corn is my fave!)
COMMUNITY CORK BOARD
- If you are a “modern quilter” located in South Australia, please join this new facebook group where we are working to arrange regular sewing days and coffee meetups for members. Country members are very welcome, although currently we are only planning Adelaide meetups. Click here to join SA Modern Quilters.
- Jackie Gillies (@jackiegillies) is asking those who can (and want to) to make and donate Tic Tac Toe blocks to help make quilts for women’s refuges in Australia. You can find out more by clicking here.
Want something included on the Community Cork Board, then why not drop me an email and if it’s applicable to the GnomeAngel community I’ll share it. It can be anything from a local fate, a charity raffle, a class you’re teaching, a pattern you’ve released, a sew-a-long you’re involved in to a community event that’s happening. Be sure to send me as much detail as you can and links to any applicable websites. Click here to email me.
- If you’d like to take a class with me, then why not check out my class list by clicking here or maybe you’d like to work with me to help promote your brand/business/store/product, click here to find out more about partnering with me.
- Entries are open in the 15th Annual Brother International Quilt Contest. You could win $2,400 worth of Brother quilting products and have your quilt displayed at the Tokyo International Quilt Festival in 2016. To find out more click here.
Psst... Would you like a FREE pattern?
Sign up to the GnomeAngel Newsletter and you can access your very own free pattern. Get the latest news, stay up-to-date with sew-alongs + events and receive the occasional free offer! Simply add your details below!