Welcome to the Half Square Triangle Block 1 of the Long Time Gone. There’s 3 half square triangle blocks in this quilt and we’re going to cover them over the next three weeks. There’s not a lot of complexity to these blocks, it’s more about handling the accuracy of your half square triangles and practicing good pinning.
Where to Find this Week’s Tutorial
This week the full tutorial is over on Nicole’s blog – click here to visit Nicole.
On the week’s when Nicole is providing the full tutorial I will provide any tips and tricks that I used to construct the block. Please note that this is not a full tutorial, for a full tutorial please head to Nicole’s blog – click here to visit Nicole.
Don’t forget Marti Michell is also offering a conversion chart and tutorial on how to make this block using her templates. If you’re looking for a reason to buy the templates this will be the block that convinces you of their benefits! See Marti’s tutorial and get the conversion chart by clicking here.
Tips & Tricks: Half Square Triangle Block 1
- See tutorial for seam pressing details.
- I used a Schmetz 70/10 needle.
- I used 50wt Aurifil #2600 (Dove) thread for piecing.
- I used Flatter by Soak in Yuzu 248ml as my starch.
- I used Clover Wonder Clips to help keep my pieces in place.
Measurements for the pieces needed to construct this block will not be provided in this tutorial. It is a pre-requiste of making this block that you have a copy of the pattern, Long Time Gone by Jen Kingwell. Measurements, where applicable, can be found in this book and it’s associated media.
If you’re using the Marti Michell Perfect Patchwork Templates you can find the conversion chart by clicking here.
How to Make the Block
- Tolerance Levels: you need to decide what is an acceptable tolerance level for “mistakes”. For example if your blocks are consistently 6¼” instead of 6.5″ are you ok with this. Or if your seams matching are less than an eight of an inch “off” are you ok with this. There’s no hard or fast rule and it’s different for everyone, so remember it’s your quilt so make your decision for you.
- Press your seams at each step. Click here for a great article on how to press your seams for patchwork.
- You can iron and starch your fabric prior to cutting. I also starch when pressing bulky seams.
- When pinning, pin away from you so that you don’t move your pieces when pinning.
- Where possible I chain piece all the pieces I can in one step. If you’re unsure of what chain piecing is, click here for a tutorial on how to do it. However, for the purpose of the tutorials I will step you through all the seams individually.
I love a good HST and over the years I’ve found a couple of great tools to help improve my accuracy and enjoyment of making HSTs. (Although nothing will really prepare me for endless HST trimming.) The following tools combined will make your HST days a lot smoother:
- Sue Daley Rotating Cutting Mat
- Bloc-loc Rule5 6.5″ Half Square Triangle Square
- Sharp rotary cutter blade
If you, like me, worry about the accuracy of your HSTs then I would recommend rolling the size of the pieces (squares) in your HST to the nearest full number and trimming down. This will allow you some wiggle room on your construction method and if your HSTs are correct in size it will make it so much easier for you to keep your points.
Prize Winning Details
Of course the ultimate prize is making this amazing quilt, but if you’d like to also throw your hat in the ring to win some amazing prizes from our amazing sponsors then here’s the information you need to know. You can find out more about our sponsors and the prizes on offer by clicking here.
How to Win
We’ve made it as simple as possible for you to win. To be eligible for all prizes on offer all you have to do is:
- Post a photo of at least ONE of this week’s blocks to your Instagram account between 17 May and Midnight 23 May 2017 in your timezone.
- Tag your photo with the hashtags #LongTimeGoneSAL #AlisonGlass #AndoverFabrics #SewWithTheBest #AnnaMariaHorner #FreeSpiritFabrics #JenKingwell #LongTimeGoneQuilt #AmitieTextiles #MartiMichell #LovePatchworkQuilting
- Be following these accounts on Instagram:
Please note: You do not need to tag these accounts in your images, if you use the hashtag #LongTimeGoneSAL we’ll be able to find you!
You will need to also do the following:
- Post a photo of each of the blocks in their relevant weeks in your timezone. You can find the block timetable by clicking here.
- Complete the quilt top and post it to Instagram within 12 July and Midnight 21 July 2017 in your timezone.
- All photos will need to have all the relevant hashtags on them.
- You will need to be following all the relevant Instagram accounts at the time of drawing.
This is the requirements to be eligible for all prizes, if you wish to select which prizes to be eligible for see the individual prize requirements by clicking here.
Need help keeping all of that clear in your head, then get your hands on the Long Time Gone SAL Tracker by clicking here to download.
You can find out all the information about prizes on offer from our amazing sponsors by clicking here.
For more information you can find commonly asked questions and their answers by clicking here.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase those items through my links I will earn a very small commission. You will not pay more when buying a product through my link, in fact in some cases I can offer you a better price via an affiliate link. I will not recommend something that I do not use myself. These commissions help me keep being able to provide you with great content for free. Thank you, in advance for your support!