Ok, confession time. I’ve fallen behind on my Long Time Gone blocks. I had a bit of a brain snap and thought yesterday was Monday and that I’d have today to get things done. Turns out yesterday was Tuesday (thanks for the confusion long weekend) and today is tutorial day and I got nothing. Thankfully today’s tutorial is being hosted by Nicole and I’m just providing eye candy, so be sure to check out the links below to find today’s tutorial and I’ll update this post when I’ve got something made. (Crumbs!)
Where to Find this Week’s Tutorial
This week the full tutorial is over on Nicole’s blog – click here to visit Nicole.
On the week’s when Nicole is providing the full tutorial I will provide any tips and tricks that I used to construct the block. Please note that this is not a full tutorial, for a full tutorial please head to Nicole’s blog – click here to visit Nicole.
Tips & Tricks: 60° Triangles
Tip #1 – Don’t fall behind.
Tip #2 – Catch up as fast as you can!
Tip #3 – Come back later in the week for the actual tips. *wink*
- See tutorial for seam pressing details.
- I used a Schmetz 70/10 needle.
- I used 50wt Aurifil #2600 (Dove) thread for piecing.
- I used Flatter by Soak in Yuzu 248ml as my starch.
- I used Clover Wonder Clips to help keep my pieces in place.
Measurements for the pieces needed to construct this block will not be provided in this tutorial. It is a pre-requiste of making this block that you have a copy of the pattern, Long Time Gone by Jen Kingwell. Measurements, where applicable, can be found in this book and it’s associated media.
If you’re using the Marti Michell Perfect Patchwork Templates you can find the conversion chart by clicking here.
How to Make the Block
- Tolerance Levels: you need to decide what is an acceptable tolerance level for “mistakes”. For example if your blocks are consistently 6¼” instead of 6.5″ are you ok with this. Or if your seams matching are less than an eight of an inch “off” are you ok with this. There’s no hard or fast rule and it’s different for everyone, so remember it’s your quilt so make your decision for you.
- Press your seams at each step. Click here for a great article on how to press your seams for patchwork.
- You can iron and starch your fabric prior to cutting. I also starch when pressing bulky seams.
- When pinning, pin away from you so that you don’t move your pieces when pinning.
- Where possible I chain piece all the pieces I can in one step. If you’re unsure of what chain piecing is, click here for a tutorial on how to do it. However, for the purpose of the tutorials I will step you through all the seams individually.
Prize Winning Details
Of course the ultimate prize is making this amazing quilt, but if you’d like to also throw your hat in the ring to win some amazing prizes from our amazing sponsors then here’s the information you need to know. You can find out more about our sponsors and the prizes on offer by clicking here.
How to Win
We’ve made it as simple as possible for you to win. To be eligible for all prizes on offer all you have to do is:
- Post a photo of at least ONE of this week’s blocks to your Instagram account between 14 June and Midnight 20 June 2017 in your timezone.
- Tag your photo with the hashtags #LongTimeGoneSAL #AlisonGlass #AndoverFabrics #SewWithTheBest #AnnaMariaHorner #FreeSpiritFabrics #JenKingwell #LongTimeGoneQuilt #AmitieTextiles #MartiMichell #LovePatchworkQuilting
- Be following these accounts on Instagram:
Please note: You do not need to tag these accounts in your images, if you use the hashtag #LongTimeGoneSAL we’ll be able to find you!
You will need to also do the following:
- Post a photo of each of the blocks in their relevant weeks in your timezone. You can find the block timetable by clicking here.
- Complete the quilt top and post it to Instagram within 12 July and Midnight 21 July 2017 in your timezone.
- All photos will need to have all the relevant hashtags on them.
- You will need to be following all the relevant Instagram accounts at the time of drawing.
This is the requirements to be eligible for all prizes, if you wish to select which prizes to be eligible for see the individual prize requirements by clicking here.
Need help keeping all of that clear in your head, then get your hands on the Long Time Gone SAL Tracker by clicking here to download.
You can find out all the information about prizes on offer from our amazing sponsors by clicking here.
For more information you can find commonly asked questions and their answers by clicking here.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase those items through my links I will earn a very small commission. You will not pay more when buying a product through my link, in fact in some cases I can offer you a better price via an affiliate link. I will not recommend something that I do not use myself. These commissions help me keep being able to provide you with great content for free. Thank you, in advance for your support!
Get Your Free Pattern Now!
Sign up to the GnomeAngel Newsletter and you can access your very own free pattern. Get the latest news, stay up-to-date with sew-alongs + events and receive the occasional free offer! Simply add your details below!