Long Time Gone by Jen Kingwell
When this quilt-along came together I was literally jumping around the house doing a happy dance; I’m really excited about this one! The fabulously awesome Jen Kingwell has given us her blessing to take her pattern, Long Time Gone (it was the Amitie Textiles Block of the Month for 2016) and team up with Marti Michell to offer you tutorials and conversion charts on how to make the quilt with (or without) Marti’s amazing templates. It’s going to be epic.
This will be a great quilt-along for those of you who’ve long admired Jen’s quilts but you’ve been too scared to dive in to one. There’s no appliqué in this one and it can all be done on a sewing machine (although if you want to hand stitch it you can totally do that too!). I’m so looking forward to learning how to use Marti’s templates to make a scrappy quilt. It’s also great for those of you that may have purchased Marti’s templates as part of the Farmer’s Wife 1930’s Sampler Quilt Quilt-along.
It’s going to be fast paced so you’ll have no chance of changing your mind or getting distracted by other projects. We’ll be doing a block a week with a week to put your top together and then another week to quilt it. (Although you won’t have to have it quilted to be eligible for prizes!)
Once it’s done, you never know there may be another Jen Kingwell quilt-along to follow it up with…
I’m really proud to announce that I’ll be partnering with Nicole Calver (of Snips Snippets) and Marti Michell to bring you this event.
I met Nicole 3 years ago when we both competed in Sewvivor. Nicole went on to win the event and my heart. We’d never met until we shared a room together at Quilt Market 2016. I had such a great time with Nicole and it was at Quilt Market that we hatched the plan to do this sew-along. I’m really excited for you to get to know Nicole, she’s super crazy talented.
We’re also teaming up with Marti Michell (from the Farmer’s Wife 1930’s Sampler Quilt Sew-along) and I’m thrilled. I love and adore Marti and she’s going to be making her version of the quilt with her templates and sharing how you can do the same. Using the templates and seeing how Marti approaches quilting has taught me so much and I can’t wait to learn more.
Start Date: Wednesday 15 March 2017
End Date: Wednesday 28 July 2017
Winners will be announced Wednesday 2 August 2017
Ordering the Pattern
One of the reasons we moved the start date of this sew-along was to provide everyone with enough time to order the pattern. At the moment you can order the pattern in Australia via Amitie Textiles by clicking here (they ship internationally). You can also order the pattern in the US and Canada from Marti Michell by clicking here.
I have started to collate a list of stockists which you can find by clicking here. This is provided as a courtesy and will be updated as I get information. I take no responsibility (nor can I control) stock levels, pricing or postage.
Unlike previous sew-alongs we’re going to provide you with the order we’ll be covering everything so you can start to plan for your approach to getting them done. As we’ve said before, and we’ll continue to say, this sew-along is going to test your accuracy, your endurance and your stamina. It’s going to be totally worth it, so get ready to have a heck of an adventure.
We’ve listed the block names and how many of each are required. We will be releasing one tutorial a week for each block type. To keep up with the sew-along you will be required to make the required numbers of each block per week.
- Bow Tie – Make 2
- Square in a Square Stars – Make 1
- Crosses of the U.K. – Make 6
- Jacobs Ladder – Make 9
- Trip Around the World – Make 1
- Plus a Star – Make 1
- Churn Dash – Make 21
- Courthouse Steps – Make 9
- Log Cabin – Make 4
- Half Square Triangle 1 – Make 1
- Half Square Triangle 2 – Make 1
- Half Square Triangle 3 – Make 1
- Flying Geese – Make 64
- 60 Degree Triangle – Make 30
- Pineapple Log Cabin – Make 16
Nicole and I are going to alternate providing tutorials for the blocks, and Marti Michell will provide conversion charts for all the blocks, via our blogs. Tutorials will be posted on our blogs on Wednesday’s at 7:30am AEST. (This is Tuesday 3:30pm for Nicole who is in Canada.) If you live outside of these timezones you can use the following website to do the time conversion, click here. You will need to use Sydney, Australia as the city for Australian Eastern Standard Time.
The following list shows the breakdown of who will have the tutorial for which block.
- 15 March 2017: Bow Tie – Angie Wilson (of GnomeAngel) & Conversion Chart: Marti Michell
- 22 March 2017: Square in a Square Stars – Nicole Calver (of Snips Snippets) & Conversion Chart: Marti Michell
- 29 March 2017: Crosses of the U.K. – Angie Wilson (of GnomeAngel) & Conversion Chart: Marti Michell
- 5 April 2017: Jacobs Ladder – Nicole Calver (of Snips Snippets) & Conversion Chart: Marti Michell
- 12 April 2017: Trip Around the World – Angie Wilson (of GnomeAngel) & Conversion Chart: Marti Michell
- 19 April 2017: Plus a Star – Nicole Calver (of Snips Snippets) & Conversion Chart: Marti Michell
- 26 April 2017: Churn Dash – Angie Wilson (of GnomeAngel) & Conversion Chart: Marti Michell
- 3 May 2017: Courthouse Steps – Nicole Calver (of Snips Snippets) & Conversion Chart: Marti Michell
- 10 May 2017: Log Cabin – Angie Wilson (of GnomeAngel) & Conversion Chart: Marti Michell
- 17 May 2017: Half Square Triangle 1 – Nicole Calver (of Snips Snippets) & Conversion Chart: Marti Michell
- 24 May 2017: Half Square Triangle 2 – Angie Wilson (of GnomeAngel) & Conversion Chart: Marti Michell
- 31 May 2017: Half Square Triangle 3 – Nicole Calver (of Snips Snippets) & Conversion Chart: Marti Michell
- 7 June 2017: Flying Geese – Angie Wilson (of GnomeAngel) & Conversion Chart: Marti Michell
- 14 June 2017: 60 Degree Triangle – Nicole Calver (of Snips Snippets) & Conversion Chart: Marti Michell
- 21 June 2017: Pineapple Log Cabin – Angie Wilson (of GnomeAngel) & Conversion Chart: Marti Michell
- 28 June 2017: AMNESTY WEEK – Catch up for those that have fallen behind
- 5 July 2017: Checkerboard – Nicole Calver (of Snips Snippets) & Marti Michell
- 12 July 2017: Assembly – Angie Wilson (of GnomeAngel) & Marti Michell
- 19 July 2017: Reveal (Assembled Quilt Top) – Angie Wilson (of GnomeAngel), Nicole Calver (of Snips Snippets) & Marti Michell
Don’t worry, if this all seems too much for you both Nicole and I will post at Wednesday 7:30am AEST to remind you that there’s a tutorial and point you to the right place to find it. All you need to do is follow our blogs and you’ll have all the information you need.
Alternatively you can sign up to my email newsletter, Gnome Gnews, which will contain reminders and links about where we’re up to in the event and where to get the latest information. Click here to sign up. Newsletters are sent every Monday AEST.
Marti Michell Conversion Charts
Marti Michell will be helping you conquer Long Time Gone by providing template conversion charts so that you can use Marti’s templates to construct the quilt. It is not compulsory to use these templates to complete the quilt. We’re offering you this as an alternate method because we believe the templates help with accuracy, conserving your fabrics and allowing you to easily fussy cut.
The use of templates is not compulsory, the quilt top can be made by following the pattern, however if you like the increased accuracy, less fabric waste and the ability to easily fussy cut your blocks then using templates can be just the thing you’re looking for.
To complete this quilt you will need:
- Pineapple Ruler
- Set A
- Set B
- Set D
- Set N
- Set Q
- Log Cabin Ruler 1
- Log Cabin Ruler 2
- Multi-size Peaky and Spike Triangle Set
Marti Michell will provide information about which templates work with which blocks and will also provide the conversion charts showing you just how to do it every week via her blog. All tutorials will contain links for you to get this information.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Both Nicole and I have partnered with our favourite fabric designers to make our quilts in nothing but their fabrics. I will be making mine in nothing but Alison Glass and Nicole will be using nothing but Anna Maria Horner (paired with some solid). We’re really excited to share our versions with you all.
We know that fabric selection can be a bit tricky for a quilt like this so we’ll be sharing our thoughts about it with you all. We’ve also partnered with Alison Glass, Anna Maria Horner and Jen Kingwell to offer you fabric bundles to help with your fabric selection and you can find all the details by clicking here.
I’m really thrilled to let you all know that we’ve partnered with the following designers and companies to bring you the most amazing offering of prizes. We won’t be sharing what they are just yet, but we can tell you who we’ve got on board at the moment, are you ready for this? We’ve got:
- Alison Glass
- Anna Maria Horner
- Free Spirit
- Jen Kingwell’s Amitie Textiles
- Marti Michell Perfect Patchwork Templates
- Love Patchwork and Quilting
Trust me, you’re going to want to have a shot at winning these prizes. You can view the final sponsor line up, full prize details and how you can be eligible for prizes by clicking here.
Connecting with Others (Hashtags & FB Groups)
The majority of this event will be run on Instagram and you can connect with other who are participating by using the following hashtags: #LongTimeGoneSAL
If you’d like to connect with people on Facebook you can join Home of the Gnome(Angel) Facebook Group where we’ll be posting regularly and encouraging people to share.
There is also a Jen Kingwell Designs Facebook Group that is a great resource of information, inspiration and encouragement. (The group is not run by Jen Kingwell, it’s a fan based group.)
You won’t want to miss a thing, so to help with that I’d recommend signing up to my weekly email newsletter. You can do so by clicking here.
Newsletters are sent every Monday and contain all the information you need about all the events that I’m hosting, things I find from around the internet, community cork board and other great finds.
If you’ve read all this information and you’ve now got some questions you’d like answered, don’t worry you’re not alone. We’ve collated some of the questions we know people will have, some of the questions people have already had and some important information and you can find it all on the Long Time Gone Sew-along Frequently Asked Questions page by clicking here.
Psst... Would you like a FREE pattern?
Sign up to the GnomeAngel Newsletter and you can access your very own free pattern. Get the latest news, stay up-to-date with sew-alongs + events and receive the occasional free offer! Simply add your details below!