With the weather turning decidedly autumnal (how good is that word!) these days our menu is starting to reflect a hearty type of meal. Our family has a bit of a weak spot for Mexican and so this easy and quick Chicken Enchilada Rice Casserole was a surefire winner. It was so quick to make and there’s enough left over for work lunches which is just fabulous for us these days.
I served it with crunchy iceberg lettuce, but while we were eating it we were talking about how else we could use it and we agreed that it would be great as nacho’s or even with eggs baked into it and served on toast. Or maybe even as jaffles (if you don’t know what they are click here).
It’s a cheap dish to make and with the beans hidden in there it’s also a great way to sneak in some much needed vegetables. Definitely going to be making this again!
Chicken Enchilada Rice Casserole
3 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
2 cups Basmati rice
2 x 500g Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce
450g refried beans
1 cup Colby cheddar, shredded
1 cup mozzarella, shredded
425g tinned corn, drained
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (or 160°C fan forced).
2. Cook the rice as per preferred method.
3. Dice and cook the chicken breasts. Once cooked shred the chicken breasts.
Tip: If you have a Kitchenaid mixer you can put the chicken in the mixing bowl and mix on a medium speed and it will shred the chicken.
3. In a large bowl mix the shredded chicken with the enchilada sauce, refried beans and half of the cheese (½ cup Cobly and ½ cup mozzarella). Add cooked rice, season with salt and pepper if needed, and mix well. Pour rice mixture into a large casserole dish, use back of spoon to even out the top of the mixture in the casserole dish. Sprinkle the top with the corn and then top with the remainder of the cheese.
5. Bake for about 20 to 30 minutes or until cheese melts and is bubbly.
Serving suggestion: serve with chunky iceberg lettuce and diced tomato or corn chips (or both).
Source: Jo Cooks
Join the GnomeAngel Newsletter
Sign up to the GnomeAngel Newsletter and you can access your very own complimentary GnomeAngel pattern. Get the latest news, stay up-to-date with sew-alongs + events and receive the occasional free offer! Simply add your details below!