It’s been a big week in the gnome home. We’ve had some news that could change everything in a very short timeframe (don’t worry, no one is dying). It’s an unsettling time and I hate the not knowing but it’s also been a time of clarity and growth. We’re still not sure what’s going to happen, but we’re hopeful for a resolution and direction this week. On top of all the world changing activity we also celebrated the LITTLE MAN turning SIX! I can’t believe my baby is now SIX!
This was the first year where he’s really understood birthday’s and has been excited about it. We had the week long sleeps countdown (a great way to reinforce counting). We had the wake up at 3am to see if the birthday ninja had been (he’s like Santa, only he comes in and decorates and leaves presents). We had the “I’m too excited to sleep” argument. We also had the pure joy at getting the present he was hoping for, as well as the fun of having a small celebration at school and then his first real birthday party. It was a big week for all of us.
I baked four dozen dinosaur cupcakes. Made a birthday cake that was the final scene in Jurassic World as per the birthday boys request (don’t think too much about it – it was a simple chocolate cake with printed pictures of the dinosaurs from the final scene on toothpicks on top of the cake!). I also managed to squeeze in lots of looking at old photo’s and crying moments. Time is just going so fast and he’s growing up so quickly. Before I know it we’ll be celebrating his 16th birthday! As much as I miss the baby, I’m so in love with the boy he has grown into. He’s smart, he’s funny, he’s loving, he’s compassionate, he’s all the good things in life.
I’d better stop rambling about him and get on with the day before I’m sitting here at my computer crying. (Cause you know, now I’m a mother I seem to cry about everything!) Wishing you a week filled with love, laughter and much fabric fondling!
The Farmer’s Wife Sampler Quilt Sew-along is coming! This is the first book (brown cover) by Laurie Aaron Hird and it started the worldwide craze that was the Farmer’s Wife Quilt. There’s 111 blocks in this book and we’ll be making them all. I’ve partnered with Paper Pieces to bring you an exciting new way to construct the blocks using English Paper Piecing. (Don’t worry, you can use whatever method you like to make them if you want to sew-along with us and be eligible to win prizes!). Event kicks off Friday August 24 and you can find out more about it by clicking here.
How cute are these quilted strawberry coasters from Nadra at Ellis and Higgs. You can get the free tutorial for this project at Diary of a Quilter. Click here to read more.
I love the bow-tie quilt block and Andy at A Bright Corner has a great tutorial and pattern for making one of these quilts. Click here to read more.
This half-rectangle triangle tutorial from Kirsty at Bonjour Quilts is so handy and opens up a world of quilt design possibilities. Click here to read more.
I’m missing summer and this free sunflower quilt block pattern from Vanessa of Lella Boutique might be just the thing to bring me some sunshine. Click here to read more.
Have you seen the prizes on offer for the #100Days100BlocksFinishalong? There’s not a massive amount of people participating and there’s still time to join in so you stand a pretty good chance of winning one of these!
- $200 Voucher for Quilting Services from Driftwood Quilting, and
- $30 Gift Certificate to The Modern Sewist.
To be eligible for these prizes you must follow @DriftwoodQuilting and @TheModernSewist on instagram, tag your photos with the event hashtag (#100Days100BlocksFinishalong) and post the three required photos within the event timeframe. To find out more click here.
Click here to shop with Driftwood Quilting.
Click here to shop at The Modern Sewist.
Have you got an event, a charity drive, a pattern release, a class schedule or something else that you think my community would be interested in hearing about? Why not drop me a line and let me know – I’d love to share it with my readers. Click here to email me.
- Andrea, from 3rd Story Workshop, has collaborated with award-winning singer-songwriter Meaghan Smith to launch the Our Song, Your Reflection project. Andrea has created a quilt design and Meaghan has created a song that speaks about the importance of community and the human connections that we make. The project is structured as an IndieGoGo campaign so that people can preorder the pattern and/or fabric kit, get limited-edition project swag, and other fun perks. But most importantly, the campaign gives people the opportunity to submit a photo of one of their quilts or of their quilting community to be included in the final music video. You can find out more about it by clicking here.
- Sam Hunter of Hunter’s Design Studio has released a collaborative quilt with Lisa Congdon called “Show Up”. It’s a really great quilt (with lots of fussy cutting possibilities) and is available for purchase by clicking here. Sign up to Sam’s newsletter as well so you can find out all the details about an upcoming sew-along to make the quilt.
- Stephanie of Modern Sewciety and Natalie of Sew Hungry Hippie have teamed up for a Dress-A-Long. June is the Metamorphic dress by Sew Liberated. July is the Painted Portrait Dress by Anna Maria Horner. It looks to be a great event where you can learn new skills, make clothes you love and have a great time while doing it. To find out more click here.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase those items through my links I will earn a very small commission. You will not pay more when buying a product through my link, in fact in some cases I can offer you a better price via an affiliate link. I will not recommend something that I do not use myself. These commissions help me keep being able to provide you with great content for free. Thank you, in advance for your support!
Get Your Free Pattern Now!
Sign up to the GnomeAngel Newsletter and you can access your very own free pattern. Get the latest news, stay up-to-date with sew-alongs + events and receive the occasional free offer! Simply add your details below!